Sunday, July 28, 2019

Gaslight



I’m in a fight for what only can be called my life, it’s been stolen, collected by the Gaslight.
Evil itself consuming air that fills my lungs and sends me clenching my fists down sightless, unfamiliar stairs.

And I will fall, and I will break, and I will crawl from the landing that leads to I’m not sure where.
My head is bleeding, my cheeks are wet with tears from the fear, the pain and not breathing.
There’s something that I see as I lie with my body and face on the ground.

A small light. A green-yellow halo sneaking through a crack.
I press my hands deep against the floor, gritting my teeth as my body leans into my damaged wrists.
There.  My legs shake as I draw my knees to my chest and allow myself to take a long, single, dignified breath.

Moving, I am moving now, walking, though not quite seeing.
I’m trusting my gut with my hands ready to brace me.

A leap of faith to follow my instincts, all from the smallest glimpse of light.
Feeling my hands against the wall I follow up from the glint of green halo to a knob, of cold old metal, a door!

I walk through, escaping the Gaslight.

No comments:

Post a Comment